should
/ʃʊd,弱ʃəd/- used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions[用于表示义务、责任或正确性, 尤其当指责某人的行为时]应当, 应该:
he should have been careful
他本应该仔细点
I think we should trust our people more
我想我们应该更加相信我们的人民
you shouldn't have gone.
你本不应该离开。
- indicating a desirable or expected state表示意愿或期望该, 应能:
by now pupils should be able to read with a large degree of independence.
到如今, 小学生们应该能够很大程度上独立阅读了。
- used to give or ask advice or suggestions用于表示建议应该:
you should go back to bed
你应该回去睡觉
what should I wear?
我应该穿什么?
I should
used to give advice用于提建议(我)会:I should hold out if I were you.
如果我是你, 我会坚持的。
- used to indicate what is probable[用于表示可能性]可能, 该:
£348 m should be enough to buy him out 34,800
万英镑应该足够买走他的股份
the bus should arrive in a few minutes.
过几分钟, 公共汽车就该到了。
- formal expressing the conditional mood〈正式〉[表示条件假设]:
- (in the first person) indicating the consequence of an imagined event用于第一人称, 表示想像事件的结果会, 该:
if I were to obey my first impulse, I should spend my days writing letters.
要是我按照刚开始的冲动, 我会花好几天时间写信的。
- referring to a possible event or situation[指可能的结果或状况]万一:
if you should change your mind, I'll be at the hotel
万一你改变了想法, 你可到宾馆找我
should anyone arrive late, admission is likely to be refused.
万一有谁来迟了, 有可能进不去的。
- used in a clause with 'that' after a main clause describing feelings用在"that"从句中, 表示情感竟然会:
it is astonishing that we should find violence here.
我们竟然会在这里遇到暴力, 真是令人吃惊。
- used in a clause with 'that' expressing purpose用在"that"从句中, 表示目的可以, 会:
in order that training should be effective it must be planned systematically.
为了让训练有效果, 必须进行系统计划。
- (in the first person) expressing a polite request or acceptance[用于第一人称, 表示礼貌的请求或接受]倒, 可:
I should like some more, if I may
如果可以的话, 我倒想再要一些
we should be grateful for your advice.
我们会感谢你的建议的。
- (in the first person) expressing a conjecture or hope用于第一人称, 表示推测或希望该:
he'll have a sore head, I should imagine
我该料到他会大发雷霆的
'It won't happen again. ' 'I should hope not.'
“这不会再发生了。”“我也希望不会。”
- used to emphasize to a listener how striking an event is or was[用于向听者强调某事给人印象之深]应该; 竟会:
you should have seen Marge's face.
你真该看看玛吉那时候的脸。
(who/what should - but)
- emphasizing how surprising an event was[强调事件之令人惊讶]竟然会:
I was in this shop when who should I see across the street but Tobias.
我在这家商店时, 竟然看见托比亚斯在街对面。