🔑ex·plainBrE/ɪkˈspleɪn/NAmE/ɪkˈspleɪn/verbpresent simple - I / you / we / theyexplainBrE/ɪkˈspleɪn/NAmE/ɪkˈspleɪn/present simple - he / she / itexplainsBrE/ɪkˈspleɪnz/NAmE/ɪkˈspleɪnz/past simpleexplainedBrE/ɪkˈspleɪnd/NAmE/ɪkˈspleɪnd/past participleexplainedBrE/ɪkˈspleɪnd/NAmE/ɪkˈspleɪnd/ -ing formexplainingBrE/ɪkˈspleɪnɪŋ/NAmE/ɪkˈspleɪnɪŋ/explainverb🔑explanationnoun🔑explanatoryadjectiveexplicableadjective (≠ inexplicable) 🔑[T, I]totellsbaboutsthinawaythatmakesiteasytounderstand解释;说明;阐明◆~ (sth) (tosb)First, I'llexplaintherulesofthegame. 首先我要说明一下游戏规则。◆Itwasdifficulttoexplaintheproblemtobeginners. 对初学者解释这个问题很难。◆'Letmeexplain!'headdedhelpfully. “让我来说明一下!” 他热心地补充道。◆~that…Iexplainedthatanambulancewouldbecomingsoon. 我解释说救护车很快就到。◆~who, how, etc.…Heexplainedwhoeachpersoninthephotowas. 他一一介绍了照片里的人。◆~tosbwho, how, etc.…Sheexplainedtothemwhattodoinanemergency. 她向他们说明了紧急情况下应采取的行动。◆+ speech'Itworkslikethis,'sheexplained. “它是这样工作的。” 她解释道。◆itisexplainedthat…Itwasexplainedthatattendancewascompulsory. 所给的解释是必须到场。Asking for clarification请求澄清
When you are given some information or asked to do something, you may need to check that you have understood correctly. Here are some ways of asking people to clarify what they said.别人告知一些信息或提出要求时需要核实自己的理解是否正确。以下是一些请求他人澄清事由的方式:
◆I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand.对不起,我不太明白。
◆Would you mind explaining that again? I'm not sure that I've understood correctly.请你再解释一遍行吗?我拿不准我理解得对不对。
◆Sorry, I don't quite follow (you).抱歉,我没太听懂(你的话)。
◆Can I just check that I've got this right?我核实一下我的理解是否正确好吗?
◆I'm not quite/exactly clear about/really sure what I'm supposed to do.我不太清楚/不太肯定该做什么。
◆Sorry, could you repeat that? I didn't hear what you said.对不起,你能再说一遍吗?你刚才说的我没听到。
◆Sorry, would you mind repeating what you just said?对不起,请你把刚才说的话重复一遍好吗?
◆If I understand you correctly, you want me to phone the customer and apologise?如果我的理解没错,你是要我打电话给客户道歉?
◆Do you mean (to say) that the deal's off?你的意思是(说)交易取消了?
◆What exactly are you saying?你到底在说什么?
◆So you're saying that the meeting's cancelled?那么你是说会议取消了?
◆Sorry, did you mean that I should wait here or come back later?抱歉,你的意思是我该在这里等,还是一会儿再过来?
◆Can you just confirm your date of birth for me, please?请您帮我确认一下您的出生日期好吗?