plen·ty
pronoun/ˈplenti/
/ˈplenti/
- plenty (of something) a large amount; as much or as many as you need
大量;众多;充足 - plenty of eggs/money/time
充裕的鸡蛋/钱/时间 - ‘Do we need more milk?’ ‘No, there's plenty in the fridge.’
“我们要不要再买些牛奶?”“不必了。冰箱里还多着呢。” - They always gave us plenty to eat.
他们总是给我们好多东西吃。 - We had plenty to talk about.
我们有说不完的话。
Grammar Point many / a lot (of) / lots (of)many / a lot (of) / lots (of)- Many is used only with countable nouns. It is used mainly in questions and negative sentences:
- Do you go to many concerts?
你常去听音乐会吗? - How many people came to the meeting?
多少人来参加了会议? - I don’t go to many concerts.
我不常去听音乐会。
- You made too many mistakes.
你犯的错误太多了。
- Do you go to many concerts?
- In statements a lot (of) or lots (of) (informal) are much more common:
- I go to a lot of concerts.
我常去听音乐会。 - ‘How many shows did you see?’ ‘Lots!’
“你看了多少场演出?”“很多!”
- I stayed in England for many/quite a few/ten weeks.
我在英格兰逗留了许多周/好几周/十周。 - I stayed in England a lot of weeks.
- Lots of people like Italian food.
许多人喜欢意大利食物。
- Plenty of stores stay open late.
许多商店都营业到很晚。
- I go to a lot of concerts.
- A lot of/lots of is still felt to be informal, especially in British English, so in formal writing it is better to use many or a large number of in statements.
Grammar Point much / a lot of / lots ofmuch / a lot of / lots of- Much is used only with uncountable nouns. It is used mainly in questions and negative sentences:
- Do you have much free time?
你空闲时间多吗? - How much experience have you had?
你经验如何? - I don’t have much free time.
我没有多少空闲时间。
- Do you have much free time?
- In statements a lot of or lots of (informal) is much more common:
- How much (money) does she earn?
她赚多少钱? - She earns a lot of money.
她挣很多钱。
- How much (money) does she earn?
- A lot of/lots of is still felt to be informal, especially in British English, so in formal writing it is better to use much, a great deal of or a large amount of.
- Very much and a lot can be used as adverbs:
- I miss my family very much.
我很想念我的家人。 - I miss very much my family.
- I miss my family a lot.
我很想念我的家人。 - Thanks a lot.
多谢。
- I didn’t enjoy the film (very) much.
我不大喜欢这部影片。
- I miss my family very much.
Word OriginMiddle English (in the sense ‘fullness, perfection’): from Old French plente, from Latin plenitas, from plenus ‘full’. - plenty of eggs/money/time